Thursday, November 30, 2006

Foley fun

Photo: Silly photo of myself with my handy-dandy audio recorder... Very cool stuff...
___________________
Sound is one of THE most important aspects of a film...
Almost all of the ultra low-budget independent films suffer from poor audio, because not many people realize how important it is...
IT IS VERY F'N IMPORTANT!
and I'm not talking about the music, sound is clean crisp dialogue, sound effects (cell phone rings, thumps, gun shots, car sounds, crashes, etc...
Sound raises a film to a professional level.

Here's a quick tip on audio; this is from the "Escape" website:
http://www.digitalworkstudios.com/audio.htm

For now, I am adding sound effects to different scenes that need it. In the "business", the adding of sound effects is called FOLEY.
When you don't have clean dialogue, actors have to come in and "voice-over" the parts that are not clean. That process is called ADR (Audio Dialogue Replacement).

I am adding cell phone ringers, car noises, footsteps, and all sorts of fun stuff...
I have a special digital audio recorder (model Zoom H4 by Samson), that records professional quality audio and records on an SD chip, so I can just pop it into my PC and edit away...

No comments: