Friday, April 27, 2007

Tornado



UPDATED: The second video is amateur video of the destruction of Villa de Fuente in Piedras Negras. The video is very heartbreaking, especially because many shots at the end of EL ESCAPE DE LOS SANTOS were filmed right in front of where the church used to be.
ALSO, when I was a kid, I had a lot of friends there, and we went frequently to the Campestre (it was like a ballroom place for parties, graduations, etc...). :-(

First of all, thanks to all for your phone calls and emails...
As you might have known a huge tornado ripped through my hometowns of Piedras Negras and Eagle Pass...

I had no idea that a tornado had passed through here... I was editing but turned off my PC, since it started to pour really bad, and the sound of the thunder was deafening and it was frightening my computer... My son on the other hand was excited to witness the hail and celebrating and laughing everytime he saw lightning... Yes, that's how boring it gets here :-)

While enjoying the passing storm (which lasted 20-30 min.) it suddenly faded and the sound transitioned to the sirens of emergency vehicles...

An hour later we turn on the TV, and they showed the devastation first hand... apparently a reporter had been around the area coincidently and got to the affected area immediately after the twister hit...

The sights were astonishing. It reminded me of war of the worlds or children of men... I was aghast with the destruction... I had not realized that a tornado had just passed through here, and what I saw was simply heartbreaking.

As you can see in the video, the reporter is just walking in the streets and talking to all the people and asking them where their houses were and some pointed towards a pile of debris, and told the reporter that their house was there... it was very sad to see this desperation in people in my own town.

Our hearts are with the friends and family of the 10 people who died during this tragedy.

No comments: